Shelby Carter, MD, received his undergraduate degree in Chemistry at Tufts University and his medical degree from New York University, both with highest honors. He completed his general surgery internship and orthopedic residency at the Medical College of Virginia. He served in the US Air Force as a flight surgeon and was Chief of Orthopedics at Offutt AFB in Nebraska.
Dr. Carter is a specialist in hip and knee replacement and is Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and a Fellow of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. He has practiced orthopedics in Austin since 1990.
Dr. Carter and his wife Beth live in Austin and raised their three children here. Kim and her husband live in San Antonio, Hank works and skis in Aspen, CO, and Scott is completing his Masters in Geology at UTSA. Beth is a broker associate at Moreland Properties.
Dr. Carter and his wife enjoy travelling with family and regular running at Lady Bird Lake. They are also active downhill skiers, primarily in Colorado, Montana and Utah. Dr. Carter continues to waterski on Lake Austin and likes riding, modifying, and repairing motorcycles as well as woodworking as time permits.
Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts, Suma Cum Laude, 1976
New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, Alpha Omega Honor Society, 1980
General Surgery Residency
Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia, 1980-82
Orthopedic Surgery Residency
Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia, 1984-88
- Center for Hip & Knee Replacement – St. David’s Hospital, Austin, Texas 2015
- Medical Park Orthopaedic Clinic, Austin, Texas, 1990-2015
- Total Joint Replacement
- Computer Navigated and Minimally Invasive Techniques
- Chief of Aerospace Medicine, Plattsburg, New York
- Clinical Instructor, Orthopaedics, University of Nebraska
- Major and Chief of Orthopaedics, Offut AFB, Ohmaha, Nebraska
New York University School of Medicine - New York, NY
Medical College of Virginia - Richmond, VA
Certifications & Memberships
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Fellow, American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Orthopaedic Association
- Member of the International Congress for Joint Replacement
Center for Hip & Knee Replacement at St. David's
3000 N IH 35
Austin, TX 78705
Phone: (737) 202-2500
Fax: (737) 202-2501
Mon - Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm